Saturday 11 January 2014

Two against one




I heard a click and then a scraping sound at my door. Someone had inserted a key into my lock at the front door. I liked my privacy so never shared my key with anyone. Another scratching. It sounded like whoever it was kept trying different keys in the lock. My alarm should be going off, but no sound. Had they cut my wires to the alarm? 
Now, I was wide-awake. In one quick motion I jumped out of bed, heading towards the stairs.

I was just about to head down when I remembered my cell phone beside my bed, back to get it. The sound of a window being broken then silence. 
The intruder or intruders were waiting to see if the breaking noise had woken anyone. I slowly crept back into the bedroom, locking my door as silently as possible. As I reached for my phone, I heard footsteps on the stairway, stealthy padding, two sets for sure. Both hitting the squeak on stair ten, they were closer than I had thought. They would hear my dial tone. Should I chance letting them know I was here?

I could hear them going into the first bedroom at the top of the stairs, mine would be the next one they would look into. I slowly opened my side drawer, taking the safety off my gun, the steely click seemed too loud. I could now smell body odor and breathing from behind the closed door, was it fear or just unclean bodies. Were they standing right outside my door, not making a sound?


The door handle turned, they would realized the door was locked. One set of footsteps moved to the third bedroom, then returned after finding it empty. I could hear their whispers, deciding what to do next. Fear almost overwhelmed me as I realized I was about to be discovered.
I did not give them a chance to think as I blasted three bullets in succession through the door.   
A loud scream and then stillness, I knew I had hit at least one. I had lots more bullets, so waited to see what would happen next.

A crash as the door came off its hinges and fell inward. A bulky dark man stood glaring at me with fire in his eyes, yelling I had killed his brother. I looked down at the body that lay lifeless. He came at me with a steel bar, seeing my gun pointed at his head he finally realized if he attacked me he would also die.

He started to back out of the bedroom, telling me he would kill me if it took him the rest of his life. He stumbled on a broken piece of the door that lay beside his brother, turned to flee. 

I could not take the chance of shooting him in the back as too many questions would arise.

And I could not let him leave and have the worry about him coming back to kill me. I yelled for him to wait and as he turned I took aim and shot him right through the heart. 
I told him this was the rest of his life.


Problem solved as I picked up the phone to call the police.



No comments:

Post a Comment